The New "Me" (Re-naming a blog is weird!)

So a few cosmetic procedures are happening here on the blog.

As I mentioned earlier, due to not being able to justify paying ever hiking blog host prices (I have a feeling some bloggers maybe lay low when this happens and re-up when the cheaper prices become available again?). I don't know, but for me I decided it seemed a bit of a vicious cycle. I didn't want to have to stress about every year or two. It was maybe a bit over-eager/naive of me as such a newbie blogger to get into the whole buying a domain business, but hey ho, live and learn.

And as fate would have it, unfortunately Deep Greens and Blues was not available with the blogspot address. Someone blogged once several years ago with the name and so it is forever lost to me it would seem. I mean, I could be a Deep Greens And Blues (plus a number), but that isn't ideal either. I half considered keeping my old blog title with the new address but that just doesn't look/seem right either.

Which on one level, nightmare. I'd become attached to the name, but also it meant thinking up a new one. And after about fifty random attempts of other things I tried, the simple, possibly un-dazzling "Steff in Scotland" seemed the best I could do for now. I was always hesitant to have my name in my blog, I've never been someone who was madly in love with my name or anything. But I know from reading other blogs that if someone's name is in the title I do tend to immediately place/remember the blogger a bit quicker.

I did have a scroll of Bloglovin' blog names for inspiration, but I find it hard to commit to any one word to describe my blog (especially not being a niche blog). I mean I sometimes blog about films/t.v., but to put "Film Geek" in the title would maybe be misleading - same for beauty, expat stuff, writing, etc. And I just generally find it hard to commit to words to describe me, I find coming up with screen names impossible, and so a blog was like a hundred times harder. So many blogs have pretty, fluffy names, clever names, etc. But well, I was jet lagged and time was ticking!

My new blog name, while perhaps over-literal (but alliterative!), is possibly a better reflection of me, where I'm at, today. I came up with Deep Greens and Blues in a moment of New England homesickness, so it's not particularly descriptive of anything to do with what I actually do in my little blogging world.

As would be expected the worst part has been dealing with dead links to my old blog address where possible - I just gave up on my old Pinterest board and am starting from scratch. I've deleted most recent tweets and re-directed Google+, and midway through I was almost ready to cave and buy my old address back - but then I would just be back in that vicious cycle of getting the "rent" raised every year.

So I'm sticking with this one, for awhile anyway! I think most bloggers go through this at some point, I guess it's a sort of right of passage? I technically passed my one year blog-iversary in October, but I didn't move to Blogger until December so I think I will save my "birthday" celebrations until then! Thanks for bearing with me anyway :-)

OH! - While I was on vacation a guest blog I wrote went up on writer Terry Tyler's blog, she asked for contributions from writers from all of the different star signs, so I was really thrilled she picked my piece on being a Capricorn writer, it was a bit of fun for me anyway! She has posts of many of the different signs up now from other writers so go check your sign out too if you are into that kind of thing (I was a hippy for Halloween (easiest costume ever) and am kind of secretly into some New Age stuff without fully committing to it either!)

The post is here for anyone interested: http://terrytyler59.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/the-z-files-blogger-steffany-capricorn.html
















11 comments

  1. I really like the new blog name - it's pleasingly alliterative, which appeals to the English teacher in me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The former English major in me does have a weakness for alliteration, even though I got told off for overuse often! ;-)

      Delete
  2. coming up with a blog name is SOOOO HARD! but i do agree with names in the title equals more instant recognition. there are many times i regret mine but i've had it for so long now, it's like, eh, whatever. i like your new one though! i will have to update all your ip tags :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard! I find yours so unique it is memorable though!

      Delete
  3. Good name. You ARE just paying for the URL, right, and not actual hosting...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steff! I've got your new blog name entered into my reading list. I don't pay for my blog, don't even really know what you are referring to but that's no surprise as I am really quite clueless about this stuff. A friend bought me my domain name as a gift and I don't even know what to do with that. I like the look of your new page-very fresh and inviting. That's cool about your writing piece being featured. I will definitely check it out. At the moment I am taking a minute to procrastinate from mountains of paper work and stuff that I must do. The theory is to peek at a blog every hour of work I get done. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawna! I think I was being a bit ambitious thinking my blog would pay for itself - ho ho! ;-) Thank you my picture is one I took on a hilly walk here. I would like to get a jazzy template but every time I have tried I run into technical issues because I am a tech nitwit ;-) Nice to hear from you, hope you are well. xo

      Delete
  5. Oh, I like the name.
    I do know the agony of new naming.
    About 2 years in, I thought of renaming my blog (and changing the address) to one of the two-things-like names....Sunflowers and Change, or Butterflies and Skulls or something like that, which is a really popular blog name format. But I couldn't think of anything that I liked enough, and I couldn't think of anything else with my name in that was "right" - then I thought about all the work that would go into changing links and names and getting my buttons changed and - ugh. It was just too much. And actually, I'm glad I stuck with what I have, because I've grown into it. :)

    ReplyDelete