Lancome Advanced Genefique Skincare Review



I purchased the Lancome Advanced Genefique skincare set as a “Merry Christmas to ME” present, as it was on offer for the holidays it cost the same as buying the serum alone, which was the main reason I purchased.

I had previously received a generous sample of the Advanced Genefique serum with some gift with purchase or other and been hooked by its impressive wrinkle smoothing properties. I am loathe to spend lots of money on skincare that makes big promises, but I admit I had high hopes for this stuff, because I am a woman "of a certain age" ;-0 I live in hope!

According to Lancome, the serum is:

“A powerful youth activating serum that reveals youthful radiance and smoother skin in just 7 days. Drop by drop, this potent serum boosts youthful radiance, restoring smoother, more radiant skin you can see and feel in just 7 days. This innovative formula featuring Génifique's patented complex with added biotechnology-derived ingredient acts on 10 key signs of youth including skin texture, resiliency, elasticity, firmness, sagginess, fine lines, wrinkles, radiance, clarity, and skin tone. It's fresh oil-free and lightweight texture quickly absorbs into skin without leaving residue.”

Mmkay let's see!


My kit came with the 30 ml Genefique Serum, and 15ml each of the Genefique Advanced Repair Day and Night creams, and a 5 ml sample of Genefique yeux (that’s French for eyes, fellow plebians ;-). Here are my thoughts on each product, after considered use:

Lancome Advanced Genefique Serum: I don’t know about you, but when I get a fancy skin product I treat it like Gollum treats his Precious, at first anyway! I carefully applied one or two drops of serum from the pleasingly science lab looking dropper to my fingers, and spread it all around my face and neck, secretly confident in the knowledge by morning I would look like a new woman!

So yes…it’s not QUITE that amazing. I feel like I remembered it being more amazing than it was? Maybe it only really wows you the first few times you try it?

Here’s the thing. As an immediate wrinkle smoother, it works pretty well. My deepest furrows, between my eyebrows and on my forehead, unquestionably looked less deep/more smooth…almost, dare I say it, frozen. 

However, over time, I am unsure that this effect built up or actively improved my skin, it was perhaps more of a short lived face fixer.

My overall skin tone didn’t have any noticeable improvements, my moisture levels weren’t affected, if anything this is a bit drying. But I am sort of 50/50 as to whether my wrinkles were still as wrinkly. It’s hard to say. I think my forehead wrinkles were perhaps lessened, but it didn’t take long after this finished for my eyebrow furrow to resume dominance in the landscape of my face! ;-)

I did enjoy using this product, it certainly improved my wrinkly bits while I was using it, so I’m inclined to say give it a whirl if you can afford it. Me, I’ve reached the stage where, perhaps unrealistically for a sensitive skinned person who has been instructed by the lady who lasers my thread veins to stay away from AHAs and retinol and other fun de-wrinklers, I yearn for more of a lasting effect. This serum came in the 30 ml size which retails for £59 and lasted me about 5 months, using twice daily most days.

Lancome Advanced Repair Day Cream: This is surprisingly light for an anti-ager, absorbs easily, and I enjoyed using it on top of the serum. It doesn’t have an spf though, a big drawback for me, and I can’t honestly said it changed my skin for the better. 

It did me no harm, and it combines nicely with the serum, never feeling too heavy or greasy on my combination skin. When used on its own I felt it was just about adequate as a moisturiser, it didn’t impart any magical glow or any other fun stuff. For the money I expected more, to be honest.

Lancome Advanced Repair Night Cream: Basically a slightly heavier version of the day cream, it did not disagree with my skin, or make me break out. But I feel like I’ve had more impressive results with cheaper night creams. It has a light floral scent that didn’t bother me but might be too much for some.

Lancome Advanced Genefique Yeux (EYE!) serum: So if I’m not mistaken, this is marketed more as an instant brightener and tightener, less so as an anti-wrinkle thing. While I did feel it smoothed and tightened a bit, it did nothing noticeable for my darkish under eye circles, and I think it caused a few little bumps around my under eye area. 

As a night eye treatment it was ok, I mostly used it during the day as that’s what it’s advertised for, and it was fun to use. It has a cooling metal ball applicator that has pleasing novelty factor, and absorbs quickly. I felt like this did a decent job as an eye serum, maybe not quite as moisturising as I would like but it played well with concealer if that is a concern for anyone. I would not repurchase as a: no noticeable lasting effects on any of my under eye issues and b: little bumpy things!

So my verdict on the Lancome Advanced Genefique skincare in this set is basically: Meh, with a side of yes if you can afford the serum and want to see visible, if likely temporary results. These products are very expensive overall for what they are in my opinion, especially considering the ingredients aren’t really known power players in the anti-ageing arsenal. I did not find the moisturisers in the line to deliver on the “youth activating” claim to be true at all really (it's a pretty ballsy one lbh!), so alas I shall return to black magic and spells in hopes of eternal youth! ;-)



5 comments

  1. wow! what a box !
    I have the Génifique day cream to that I am going to review soon, glad you like it.

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I turned 30 I've been trying to develop a face/skin routine but I haven't done too much. I do try to wear sunscreen more often, and I lotion my face every day but I've still been trying lots of different brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean logically I know it's all Fool's Gold, sunscreen is definitely the best thing you can do for your skin. And you look like a teenager so you've got nothing to worry about! :-)

      Delete
  3. Good review - have to admit I won't be buying this. But you are gorgeous without this, fyi. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save your money, there are cheaper things that work great! And thanks you are awfully kind! xo

      Delete